Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Social Marketing Campaign: Kenn Dein Limit



Is it just me, or are the social campaign in Berlin always the raciest? I know I mentioned this ad in a previous post, but as a recap, this ad depicts three teens each having drinks around a table at a party. The girl on the left basically says that she’ll end up naked tonight, the guy next to her can’t wait to put the naked pictures up on the internet, and the guy on the right it’s gonna party ‘till he’s in the ER. Compared to the ridiculously lame “Above the Influence” campaigns in America, I’d have to say that the “Kenn Dein Limit” ad is much more effective in reaching it’s target audience. I really think American ad agencies responsible for the anti-drug ads could learn from this ad.

For starters, the ad is pretty realistic: it’s not asking you to never drink, just to know your limit. That’s reasonable, and far more realistic than telling teens not to drink at all. Then, it’s also bringing up some realistic, though messed-up, consequences. I think that in acknowledging that the whole naked-picture-taking thing happens, the ad gains credibility among the target audience, which makes this an effective ad.

Compare that to this ad, which is probably the most moronic attempt I've seen to get kids off of weed:

First, the only way any “kid” can identify with these anthropomorphic insects are the early 00’s clothes they’re wearing and the fact that the insects are wearing converse. Not only do I think that pot-smoking teens will use this print ad for rolling paper, but I think it detracts from other anti-drug campaigns, and is detrimental to the “brand image” of campaigns like that of Above the Influence.

EDIT: Looking through all of the Above the Influence ads, I have to say, this one is actually the best, and actually wouldn't be made fun of.

No comments:

Post a Comment